JSF/F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (Lightning II) is a family of single-seat, single-engine, fifth generation multirole fighters to perform ground attack, reconnaissance and air defense missions with stealth capability.
The JSF/F-35 has three main models; the F-35A is a conventional takeoff and landing variant, the F-35B is a short take off and vertical-landing variant and the F-35C is a carrier-based variant.
Program participants are USA, UK, Italy, The Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Australia, Norway and Denmark.
Industries of each participant countries have been contributing to the program. TAI – Turkish Aerospace Industries, Inc. has also undertaken important responsibilities.
One of the most complex structural sections of the aircraft, "F-35A Center Fuselage" is produced by TAI as a second source.
Other work-packages are "F-35 A/B/C Composite Components, F-35A Metallic Sub-Assemblies, F-35A Air Inlet Ducts and F-35 A/B/C Air-to-Ground Alternate Mission Equipment Pylon Manufacturing".
Some of the Technological Capabilities gained in the program are as follows;
- High Precision Advanced Technology Composite Part Production,
- Composite And Metal Bonding Techniques By Using High Technology,
- Fiber Placement Techniques With Automatic Machining For Sophisticated Structures,
- Robotic Controlled Precise Coating And Painting Applications,
- High Level Digital Integration Between Design And Production Period,
- Robotic Controlled Drilling, Cutting and Integration Processes,
- High Standard Quality Applications Required For 5th Generation Fighter Aircraft