Basic Trainer Aircraft (HÜRKUŞ) Development Program contract was signed between the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries and TAI in March 2006. HÜRKUŞ with day and night mission capability; instrument flight, navigation and formation training phases will be realized.
Within the framework of the program; two aircraft configurations are being developed.
- HÜRKUŞ-A: Basic version which is to be certified with EASA according to CS-23 requirements.
- HÜRKUŞ-B: Advanced version with integrated avionics (including HUD, MFDs, and Mission Computer).
Following the completion of taxi tests, the first aircraft of HÜRKUŞ-A Configuration successfully performed its first flight on August 29, 2013 at TAI's facilities. Consequent to the flight permission of SHGM (Turkish Civil Aviation General Directorate) and EASA (European Civil Aviation Authority), the first flight, which lasted 33 minutes, was performed with open landing gear position at a height of 9500 ft. During the flight, the first checks were performed on control surfaces and a successful landing was realized.
Stability and control checks in different flight configurations have been conducted in the following flight tests. Landing gear up-down tests, cockpit pressurized tests and system functions pre-checks have been performed. The aircraft has reached 12.500 ft height and 158 knots speed currently. The flight tests are still ongoing.
As a resolution of SSIK's meeting, held on Sept. 26, 2013, in order to meet the 15 new-generation trainer aircraft requirement of TurAF, contract negotiations regarding the serial production of HÜRKUŞ was started with TAI. The negotiations regarding HÜRKUŞ-B contract is on the signing stage currently.
- Superior aerodynamic performance, TAI designed wing airfoil
- 1,600 shp PT6A-68T Pratt & Whitney Canada turboprop engine
- Five bladed aluminum Hartzell HC-B5MA-3 propeller
- Martin-Baker Mk T-16 N 0/0 ejection seats
- Inverted Flight
- Good visibility from both cockpits, 50 down-view angle from rear cockpit
- Comfortable accommodation of wide range of pilot sizes
- Pressurized cockpit (nominal 4.16 psid)
- On-Board Oxygen Generating System (OBOGS)
- Anti-g System
- Environmental Control System (Vapor Cycle Cooling)
- Strengthened canopy for bird strike resistance
- High shock absorbing landing gears for training missions
- Hands On Throttle and Stick (HOTAS)
|Maximum Cruise Speed||310 KCAS (574 km/h)|
|Stall Speed (landing configuration)||77 KCAS (143 km/h)|
|Maximum rate of Climb (@ sea level)||4370 ft/min (22 m/s)|
|Service Ceiling||34700 ft (10577 m)|
|Maximum Endurance (@15,000 ft)||4 h 15 min|
|Maximum Range (@15,000 ft)||798 n mile (1478 km)|
|Total Take-Off Distance (@ sea level)||1605 ft (489 m)|
|Total Landing Distance (@ sea level)||1945 ft (593 m)|
|g limits||+7 / -3,5g|
*Values given in the table are calculated under International Standard Atmospheric (ISA) conditions.